This afternoon I spent an hour being patient. . . during that hour I learned a bit about the ancient practice of Tai Chi. Our instructor said, "After 10 years of practice, a person can say they have been taught Tai Chi". she continued on, "After 20 years a person can say that they understand Tai Chi". . .and finally "After 20 years a person can say that they have learned Tai Chi". We were safe inside the four walls of the studio this afternoon. Just steps outside, there was chaos. Others exercising in the great American fashion. . . no pain no gain. when it hurts, you push through. sweat more, burn more, hurt more. STOP.
This afternoon while the sun was shining here in Colorado - well ok, it was peeking through the clouds - I spent an hour being patient. I entered the studio a foreigner, to both Tai Chi and this thing called patience, and came out with a greater appreciation of both. The ancient Chinese art of Tai Chi was life's gift to me today. . . The rich history. . . The strength and flexibility that must coexist . . . how this wondrous art form has the ability to end pain, strengthen muscles, rid the body of toxins, calm the mind. . . .calm the mind. . . calm the mind.
Today, I fled from the American way of exercising that I have been used to my whole life. Today I was given the gift of patience from my instructor . . and by her ability to embrace health and wellness on a spiritual level. No one took their heart rate, or squinted their eyes while lifting more weight than their body could possibly bear. . . eyes were focused, hearts were open, and the knowledge from years past flowed from my instructor to the class.
In my lifetime I will never know the secrets of Tai Chi, nor will I ever compete or even become what you might call "skilled" at this intricate art. I recognize the journey that will take place weekly as I grow. . . breathe. . . and learn the art of patience.
No comments:
Post a Comment